Udupi: ‘Kaushalya Karnataka Mission’ launched to curb unemployment

Pics: Umesh Marpalli

Daijiworld Media Network - Udupi (HB)

Udupi, May 16: ‘Kaushalya Karnataka Mission’ and its spinoff, the web portal ‘kaushalkar.com’ were inaugurated by district in-charge minister Pramod Madhwaraj, at Board High School Campus, Udupi on Monday, May 15.

The website facilitates registration for youth who want to join the mission's skill training programme.

The programme was organised by Skill Development, Entrepreneurship and Career Department whose president is chief minister Siddaramaiah. He will be monitoring the programme directly throughout. The project has estimated a target of 5 lac registrations on the whole.




    
















District-in-charge Pramod Madhwaraj addressed the gathering, "This is one of the historic programmes, specially designed for the unemployed youth. Any developmental schemes of the State government should be launch in Udupi first, as it is the most suitable district for initiating a skill development training programme. Udupi has huge human resource and the district's achievement speaks for itself. The state government has framed many schemes keeping the children’s future in the mind."  

He further said, "Only 15% of youth get jobs. The remaining 85% usually go back home due to lack of skill. If training is given to these job aspirants, the rate of employees will be improved. The target for registration here is 9100, out of which 809 is reserved for scheduled caste, 450 for scheduled class, 1309 for minorities, and rest for other categories.

Minister Pramod urged the public and students to make use of the opportunity. He assured to propose to the CM, an extension of the target numbers if need be.

"Demonetization affected the IT industries badly. It is said that nearly 2 lac IT employees will lose their job. So, Prime Minister Modi is thinking of generating employment opportunities," he said.

 
Secretary to Government, Agriculture Department and district in-charge secretary, M Maheswar Rao said, "Skill is as important as school education to get an edge in the job market. It is important to have skills in a 'Make in India' concept to manufacturing products. Bookish knowledge is not enough. This project helps fill the gap between skill requirement and institutional education."

Deputy commissioner Priyanka Mary Francis said, "The registration date could be extended and is not restricted for 10-15 days alone. There are 39 different subjects available for training for the unemployed youth between ages 18 and 35. 9100 is just a symbolic target and the district aims to achieve a target on a 1:3 basis, which would be reckoned as 27,000’.

Hundreds of college students participated in the programme.

Nayana, Nodal officer delivered the keynote address and welcomed the gathering. Harikrishna Shivathaya proposed the vote of thanks.