Bengaluru: Fight over addiction to Facebook ends in couple's suicide

Daijiworld Media Network - Bengaluru (SP)

Bengaluru, Jun 12: The quarrel between a husband and wife which erupted because of the addiction of the wife to Facebook use, ended with the suicide of both of them on Monday June 11 morning.

The duo which hanged themselves happened to be Anoop (34) and Saumya (23). On the issue of Saumya spending too much time on Facebook, there was a fierce fight on Sunday night, and both of them were found to have hanged themselves in separate rooms of their home, the police said.

Anoop, a native of Hassan, was living in a rented home in Ramaiah Layout within the limits of Bagalur police station since the last ten years. He used to work for a poultry farm at Peenya. He had married Saumya four years back. The couple has left behind a three-year-old son. The house the couple currently lived in is located in the ground floor and was taken on lease by Anoop by paying a deposit of Rs 6 lac a year back, sources said.

Although both of them were using Facebook, Anoop objected to Saumya's too much indulgence in Facebook, and her habit of entering into friendships with scores of people and chatting with them. Since the last several days the two fought with each other regularly on this issue. On Sunday too the fight escalated and during late hours on Sunday night, Saumya had come out of the house and made allegation against her husband. At this, owner of the house, Karippa, had come out of his house, enquired with the couple, and asked them firmly to go back into their house. Thereafter, Anoop had called Ravichandra, brother of Saumya, telling him that Saumya was always found submerged in Facbook and that she had not been doing anything. He had asked Ravichandra to take his sister back home. At 7.30 am on Monday, Saumya called Ravichandra to tell him that her husband was torturing her by confining her in a room, and had requested her brother to rescue her. Ravichandra promised to come at 2.30 pm. When he reached his sister's home at 2.30 pm on Monday, Ravichandra found that both had hanged themselves.

Ravichandra, noticing that the door was not opened even after repeated knocks and ringing of doorbell, got the door broken and found that the couple had died and their son was sleeping inside.